Saturday, August 22, 2026

 
HomeUS NEWSFederal judge strikes down Trump visa ban targeting 75 countries : NPR

Federal judge strikes down Trump visa ban targeting 75 countries : NPR


Federal immigration officers walk through a security checkpoint at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston in March.

David J. Phillip/AP


hide caption



toggle caption

David J. Phillip/AP

A federal judge has struck down a Trump administration ban on issuing immigrant visas to people from 75 countries, saying the policy violated federal immigration law by discriminating on the basis of nationality.

The State Department said earlier this year that it was halting immigrant visas for citizens of Afghanistan, Brazil, Yemen and dozens of other countries because the Trump administration determined people from those nations were likely to need public assistance if they came to the United States.

The policy would have barred the U.S. government from issuing immigrant visas even in cases where consular officers individually assessed applicants and determined they were likely to be self-sufficient in the U.S., according to a ruling Friday by District Judge Jeannette A. Vargas in the Southern District of New York.

“In many ways, this is not a challenging case,” Vargas wrote. The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 prohibits discrimination on the basis of nationality in the issuance of immigrant visas, Vargas said. However, the Trump administration’s policy banned certain people from receiving immigrant visas “based solely on their nationality,” the judge wrote.

Vargas cited a U.S. diplomatic cable that instructed consulates to refuse immigrant visas to applicants who had already been approved but whose printed visas hadn’t left the consulate.

Vargas said the Trump administration’s policy was “contrary to law” and exceeded the authority of Secretary of State Marco Rubio. The judge’s ruling vacated the visa ban and also set aside visa denials that were based only on the policy.

A State Department spokesperson told NPR the Trump administration is “protecting the American people by upholding the highest standards of screening and vetting of visa applicants,” adding that the administration doesn’t comment on ongoing litigation. When the State Department issued the ban, it said the policy would “remain active until the U.S. can ensure that new immigrants will not extract wealth from the American people.”

The ban was part of a broader effort by the Trump administration to limit legal and illegal immigration. In June, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutional right to birthright citizenship, rejecting an executive order Trump signed that tried to bar citizenship for babies born in the U.S. to parents who either entered the country illegally or who are living and working here legally with temporary visas. The executive order never went into effect because lower court judges ruled it was unconstitutional.



This story originally appeared on NPR

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments